It’s interesting how things reappear in life exactly when you need to see them.
Recently I re-discovered an email that was passed around during New Year’s 2009 about how to get big changes by making small commitments in your daily life.
For some reason, we often think we have to make huge changes in order to be happy and generate a sense of well-being. But the truth is, doing small things consistently has the potential bring about rapid change in your life.
When thought of in these terms it’s less overwhelming and more manageable.
Here is a list of ways to take care of yourself, your outlook, your relationships and ultimately, your life.
1. Take Care of You
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat more organic fruits and vegetables.
- Eat less food manufactured in processing plants.
- Play more games.
- Read more books.
- Meditate at least 5 minutes per day.
- Sleep for 7 hours – 9 hours per night.
- Take deep breaths.
- Stretch and exercise often.
- Take daily walks (at least 20 minutes per day).
And while you walk, smile.
2. Your Outlook
- Let go and remember today is a new day.
- Make peace with your past.
- Be mindful and present.
- No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
- Refuse to compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
- Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
- Don’t worry about the things you cannot control.
- Don’t overdo. Keep your limits.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
- Be grateful.
- Focus on your goals and dreams.
- The best is yet to come.
3. Your Relationships
- Communicate clearly and authentically.
- Consider calling instead of texting.
- Don’t remind others of their past mistakes.
- Refuse to gossip. It doesn’t serve.
- Give compliments.
- Spend time old people and young people.
4. Your Life
- Simplify. Donate, recycle or throw away anything you don’t love.
- Remember your three centers: mind, body and spirit. Balance accordingly.
- However good or bad something is, it will change.
- Keep your promises, especially to yourself.
- Try to to make people smile instead of looking away.
- Choose to do the right thing.
- Process your thoughts and feelings as needed in a journal.
- Your intuition is correct. Trust and follow it.
- Remember to breathe.
Choose one item from each of these four areas and write down your intention.
Follow any of these tips and over time, there is no doubt you will get big changes from making small commitments in your life and become a happier, healthier human.